Pages

Wednesday 16 July 2014

1.86 Who poisoned Hazel


Mathew sat by her bedside while Hazel lay there. 


When the doctor walked in she asked Matt to step outside. “Mr Dark, the results came back from that hamper. It was found to contain arsenic.” Matt was visibly shaken and shouted, “What!”


“Your wife is going to be fine because you acted quickly and she was able to tell you what she had eaten before passing out.” Matt collapsed on the seat behind him, “When can I take her home?”
“In a few days but she needs to rest and eat properly first.” Matt got up from his seat and said, “I need to be with my wife right now.”
“I understand Mr Dark but to let you know in these cases the police have been informed and will want to speak to you soon.” 


When he opened the door the phone rang and so he closed the door and answered it, “Uncle Estevan I’m…” Estevan interrupted him, “Spencer told me about what you did and I should be angry but I’m not however I am concerned about Hazel’s safety. William told me about your new mother in-law and I did a background check on her. Lexy told me she has a reputation known as a black widow and now she is broke. Men won’t touch her because of the rumours and that is why she wants Hazel to marry into money so she can have the lifestyle she has come accustomed too.”


“This is a joke, right?”
“No and believe me I wish it was. When you have spoken to the police call me straight back.”
“Ok,” Matt hung up and went in the room, he saw Hazel stir and smiled at her, “Haz, how are you feeling?” Hazel looked at him and said, “I feel tired, what happened?” Matt wasn’t sure how to tell her but he knew he had to, “Babe, you were poisoned. They found arsenic in the food hamper…”


“No that’s not true, please Matt tell me you are making this up.” Matt held her hand and asked softly, “What didn’t you tell me Haz?”
“Please don’t make me…”
“Haz, its ok. Please tell me.” 


Hazel looked at him with tears running down her face, “There was no note but I recognised the writing on the parcel, it was from my Mum and when I saw the cakes I thought it was a sorry hamper and the cake was just how she used to make them.” He squeezed her hand and replied, “It will be ok…”
“Oh Mathew; why would she want to kill me?” Matt thought for a moment and said, “Maybe it was meant for me and not you. Haz you need to tell the police.”
“But she is my mother…” Mathew took a deep breath and said, “She is known to the police as the black widow…” Hazel stopped him as she tried to sit up, “What are you trying to say?” 


Matt was about to answer when Zoe barged in and looked shocked at what she saw, “Oh I was told Mathew was poisoned and dying but I can see I was misled.” Matt wanted to punch her but he kept his composer for Hazel’s sake and what hurt them more was the fact she didn’t even ask if Hazel was ok. The doctor who had followed Zoe into the room said, “No one mentioned poisoning.” 


Zoe looked at the doctor, “When the condition was explained I naturally assumed it was poisoning.”  The doctor wasn’t convinced, “Have you once asked about your daughter’s condition?”
“I…I was about too.” The doctor held the door open and said, “Please step this way,” Zoe looked at Hazel who now turned away. When the door closed Hazel asked, “What happened to the Mum I knew, why is this happening?” Matt held her close and reassured her it would be ok. “Please tell me at least my Dad died of natural causes.”


Matt got to the door and saw Zoe being questioned by the police, he could see the anger in her face and when he walked out she yelled, “He tried to kill my daughter.” 


The police looked at her and said, “Explain how the package arrived with your handwriting on it and was sent from your home address.” Zoe looked shocked at the information they had then she watched as Mathew approached her, “Did you kill her father?” 


Zoe looked at him and suddenly the expression softened, “I loved him but he died by his own hand. I never told Hazel because it would have killed her…”
“Killed her? What about you, trying to kill her now?”


“I wanted you dead and out of the way not my baby girl.” 


The policeman looked at her and said, “Zoe Chase, I’m arresting you on suspicion of the attempted murder of your daughter Hazel Dark and her husband Mathew Dark. You don’t have to say anything which you may later rely on in court.” 


Matt was furious, he wanted more answers for Hazel but now the police were about to take her away when Zoe got free and ran into the room where Hazel was and locked herself in the room. Matt tried to shake it free but it was stuck and as the police were trying to get in Zoe approached her daughter.


“I’m told I’ll being going away for a while but you need to hear things from me now. I loved your father but he committed suicide. He used drugs and I begged him to stop but they took over the man I loved and one day after taking you to school, I found him dead in our bed. He left a note saying he couldn’t give us a good life and we were better off without him. Since then I took what I could get to give us a better life. This man you have married, I don’t approve of him as he reminds me of what your father was like, a daydreamer going nowhere.”


“Mum I know you loved Dad and thank you for telling me the truth but as for Mathew you are wrong about him. I can’t forgive you for what you did to me either.”
“I understand but maybe one day.” 


She kissed Hazel’s forehead and said, “I am sorry about you eating the cake.” Then she straightened herself up walked over to the door and opened it, “I’m ready officer.” 


Matt ran past them to Hazel and asked, “Babe, are you ok, did she do anything?”
“No just said sorry and told me about Dad.” The doctor walked back into the room to make sure Hazel was ok while Matt excused himself to call Estevan, “The Mum poisoned Hazel but the police have her in custody.”


“She still might escape any jail time so listen and carefully.” Matt listen to his uncle very carefully then said, “I don’t know what to say but thank you.” 


He put the phone down when Kay appeared, “I spoke to the doctor and Hazel will be fine.” Matt hugged her and said, “I can’t believe this. We should be having fun because we just got married.”
“I know, I know.”
“Where is Jake?”


“He is doing a double shift this weekend but between us I wish he would give up the job after all he runs his Dad’s company with Kirsten.” Matt looked at her, “Would you give up being a doctor?”
“No.” Matt replied, “There is your answer then. Look I need to be with Hazel right now. Take care of yourself and that baby.” 


Kay pulled Matt back, “What do you mean?” Matt sighed, “I’m taking Hazel away for a while because of her Mum and I can’t tell you where so don’t ask and I’ll contact you when I can.”
“Matt you don’t have too…”
“Kay I have too as Hazel is my priority right now.” 


He gave her a hug and whispered, “Love you and look after that baby and make sure Charlie behaves for Mum and Dad.” Kay was already emotional due to the pregnancy and said, “Miss you both already.”
“I will too but until I know Hazel is safe I can’t risk anything,” then he walked through the door closing it behind him.

10 comments:

  1. Horrible, selfish woman. I hope she goes to prison for so long we don't see her again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zhippidy,

      She is very selfish and yes she'd better go to prison.

      Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  2. Hazels' mom is horrible. I think Matt taking Hazel away for a while might be the best thing he could do. Zoe is one crazy lady who might be capable of anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dandy,

      Hazel's Mum is horrible not nice at all. Matt will be taking her away for awhile in the hope Zoe can't and won't get to them.

      Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  3. That was incredibly stupid of Hazel's mom to presume that Matt would be the only one eating the cakes. She should've thought of that. I guess that just goes to show that she wasn't thinking clearly.

    Hm... so Estevan has a plan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mypal,

      Zoe is crazy so she didn't think that far ahead and to think she thought it would be Matt that would eat the cake.

      Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  4. Good grief, Hazel's mom is one nasty lady. I figured she was trying to poison Matt, but she should have known her plan would most likely backfire, after all that's how she used to make the cakes for Hazel. And that sad story she gave Hazel at the end, not buying it. I'm sure it's the truth, but she gets no sympathy from me,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val,

      Zoe isn't nice at all. She didn't think it would backfire. The story was true but after every thing she has done, yes you are right no sympathy from me either.

      Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  5. Good lord, Zoe is a nutcase!!! How horrible can someone be to try and kill their child's love... then to only be concerned with the fact that it wasn't Matt in the hospital bed?? Ugh, i hope we have seen the last of her for a while...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh, I knew it was her! Nasty old biddy....I hope they can get away to safety and that Hazel's mom serves a very long, hard, etc sentence for what she tried to do.

    ReplyDelete