Pages

Sunday 5 October 2014

1.89 Holding on


Jake came home to find Kay asleep on the sofa, “Beautiful it’s time for bed.” 


He lifted her up and carried her to their room. When he lay her on the bed her heard her talk in her sleep, ‘Must get baby clothes, haven’t got enough time…’ Jake whispered in her ear, “Kay you’re talking in your sleep again. Everything will be fine,” then he kissed her before climbing into bed.


Jake was sound asleep when the phone rang at the side of his bed, he looked at the clock and it read four o’clock then looked at the phone and it was a video call from Kirsten, “Sis everything ok?” 


Kirsten was in tears the other end and said, “I have been bleeding what do I do?” Jake yelled with panic, “For fuck sake sis get Andrew and go to the hospital now.”


Kay stood by the door and asked what the yelling was all about and when Jake told her she spoke to Kirsten, “Listen you need to stay calm and get Andrew. I will ring the doctors for you ok.”
Through the tears Kirsten agreed. When she put the phone down Kirsten frantically rang Andrew, “Hi Andy, can you come home? I think something is wrong.”


“Kirsten, Andrew is on the field what’s wrong?” Andrew Snr just about discovered that Kirsten was bleeding and thought she was losing the baby. He told her to sit down and Andrew would be home straight away. He pulled his son off the training field and practically threw Andrew into a trunk and drove through every red light because he didn’t want to lose his grandchild. Andrew just sat there staring out the window in shock.



Kirsten was being examined by the doctor when Andrew found her in their bedroom. The doctor turned to Andrew and asked, “Are you the father?” 



Andrew steadily answered, “Yes and is everything ok?” The doctor would only say, “Kirsten is being taken to hospital for further tests.” The doctor gave a half smile to Kirsten and left the room to wait for the ambulance. 



Andrew looked at Kirsten and nervously asked, “What did they say?”
“They won’t tell me anything…Andy I want our baby, it’s going to ok right?” 



Andrew kissed her forehead and said, “Our baby will be fine,” but he wasn’t sure about that statement and hated the feelings that he was having. He quickly rang Jake who told him he’d ring his parents.
When Laura saw the consultant enter her daughter’s room she froze, “Dan that was the doctor who broke the news about Ava.” Dan squeezed her and quietly replied, “Everything will be fine. We need to be here for Kirsten.” 



When the consultant opened the door he saw Dan and Laura and knew instantly who they were. Laura was his first patient in the maternity unit and it broke his heart to tell them about their baby and slowly approached them. He shook Dan and Laura hands and calmly said, “Kirsten is your daughter, right?”



Laura was starting to cry but stopped and heard, “I hated telling you and I’ve never forgotten. I will do everything I can to make sure Kirsten and baby are fine. I’m going to do the ultra scan now.”
“You did everything you could and for that we are grateful just please do everything for our girl in there.”
“I will do.” 
When they entered the room Kirsten was looking at Andrew and when he looked up he gave a nod. “Jake is on his way.” Laura smiled, “He doesn’t like Kirsten upset.” Everyone accept Andrew had to leave the room while carried out the scan.



Everyone outside the room was quiet, hoping and praying for good news. Kay was cuddling into Jake while holding her stomach and thought, ‘Stay there for Mummy, I love you so much.’ She felt Jake’s hand over hers and heard a whisper, “I love this baby.” Kay glanced at him and he kissed her.



After the nurse left with the machine the consultant said, “Kirsten and Andrew I took pictures and after looking very carefully I have news.” They both listened intently as the consultant spoke, “Did you know you were expecting twins?” They looked at each other and then back at the consultant and Kirsten said in shock, “No we didn’t, are they ok?” She felt Andrew squeeze her hand as he was on edge waiting to find out what was going on.
“I’m sorry to say one baby has died and that is why you are bleeding but the other baby is doing well. I know it’s not the best news but I would like you to stay overnight so we can keep an eye on you.”
Andrew finally spoke, “I’m not leaving them…” The consultant was going to argue but he saw no point and because it was a private room agreed that Andrew could have a cot bed. 



Kirsten and Andrew held each other for a while until the crying stopped, “Kirst, we have a baby that we need to look after.”
“I know but they tell us we are having twins then rip our hearts out.” Andrew held her and answered, “Baby I agree but we can’t lose both of them so please try and stay calm for the baby.” She kissed Andrew back and promised to stay focused. Dan and Laura opened the door and asked if they could come in and Kirsten smiled. “Sweetheart what did he say?” 



Kirsten looked at her Mum and said sadly, “I was having twins but now I’m only having one baby. Dan closed his eyes for a moment then said, “Are you both ok?” Andrew sighed, “Shocked but ok I guess. He wants Kirsten to stay so I’ll be here with her.” Laura offered to get Kirsten’s things so Andrew didn’t have to leave and Kirsten appreciated the gesture and thanked her Mum.



When they were alone Andrew said, “I was so worried about you.” Kirsten held him tightly, “I was too but I’m glad you are here. And, what shall we name this baby?”
“Do we know if it’s a boy or girl? Kirsten looked at him, “We could ask before we pick a name!”
“Isn’t that cheating?” Kirsten smiled slightly, “After what’s happened I want to know.”
“Same here.”

6 comments:

  1. Ok, yes I cried... poor Kirsten... that would rip your heart out, but hopefully they can find out and get a name sorted :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ivorybutterfly,

      Sorry you cried but it was heartbreaking for both Kirsten and Andrew and hopefully they can move forward.

      Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  2. That is so heartbreaking. To not know you were having twins until you find out you lost one of them. Hopefully the other baby will be alright! I hope Kirsten and Andrew are able to cope with the loss better than her parents had been able too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dandylion240,

      It was heartbreaking for them to not know they were expecting twins. I think they have learnt from Kirsten's parents and will pull through.

      Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  3. I'm pretty sure I commented, but I don't see my comment so I'll try again.
    What Kirsten and Andrew are going through is unimaginable and so heartbreaking. After everything they've been through together I know they will overcome this tragic loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val,

      They have been through a lot and this was very traumatic for them but I can see them pulling through this because they have each other.

      Thanks for reading :)

      Delete